return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: New to Chuckwallas

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chuckwallas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: negatronix at Sat Mar 21 13:03:07 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by negatronix ]  

If you live near a mountain road, or an underdeveloped area take a drive or a walk and collect some dandelions and misc weeds. Be sure to take pics and post them if you are not sure if they are edible.

I'll ocasionally drive out to the desert and pick a few flowers, and leaves from the areas where I actually caught my chucks. They like dried weeds and flowers just as much as the green stuff.

I no longer feed any store bought veggies to my chucks, they do far better on the weeds that I leave growing around the yard.. However, as a treat I will add fresh steamed, or grated sweet potato, and Mazuri tortoise food quite often.

Go real easy on supplements.. Chucks seem to be really delicate and sensitive to vitamins. I offer vitamins once a month if even that. I feel that they probably get toxic levels built up because of their ability to go long periods without food or water in the wild. I read something about their lymph systems and water storage some time ago... probably here

Some of the best rocks that I've found are at Home Depot... They are the paver stones, and are about 2 inches thick, and stack prefectly, and offer perfect crevices that are safe for a chuck to hide in. I also use cleaned playground sand, and mix in lava, and mexican river pebbles etc...

Good luck!
-Kory

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: New to Chuckwallas - Passtime, Sat Mar 21 14:58:27 2009

<< Previous Message:  RE: New to Chuckwallas - Passtime, Fri Mar 20 16:33:10 2009