return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Russian Tortoise

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Russian & Greek Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: KevinM at Fri Mar 27 19:05:40 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by KevinM ]  

I have had great experience with my pair for the most part. The few bad experiences were mainly my fault. I kept the first one I got in a forty gallon breeder sized tank. Basically a single animal needs a four by two foot enclosure minimum, thats about 1-2 foot tall to keep them from climbing out. When I got the female, they both lived in the same tank OK, but needed more space IMO. They need a basking spot at one end of the cage around 90 degrees. I use a combo UVB/heat lamp when they are inside. They need UVB to metabolize calcium from their diets for good health and prevent shell and bone disorders. I feed mine a variety of greens like mixed lettuces, endive, escarole, dandelion greens, etc. Variety is key, but concentrate on the greens that have high calcium content. I feed mine tomato and other fruits occasionally, and also mixed veggies and Mazuri tortoise diet. I also offer them edible flowers when available like roses. I also keep a shallow pan of water for them to soak in and drink if needed. I turn my lights off at night and let the temp drop to room temp. Mine live outside in a pen most of the year know, but lived over a year inside just fine. Make sure they stay dry. They can tolerate cool temps, but they do not tolerate cool and WET conditions!! I used cypress mulch, or rabbit pellets on the bottom of their enclosure when they were inside. If you keep them outside in a pen, make sure they cannot dig out. My male dug under his pen wall and had a vacation for three weeks. I still can't believe he was found, and thats another long story LOL!! They are generally personable, recognize you give them food, and scurry out when they see you coming for food. They stay a very manageable size compared to other species. I also suggest to read these forums and get a good book about them. There are a few that concentrate know on russians because they are becoming so popular. Based on their size and hardiness, I think they are probably one of the better species to keep inside year round.

Good luck.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• Russian Tortoise - geckos94, Wed Mar 25 19:20:33 2009
    • You Are HereRE: Russian Tortoise - KevinM, Fri Mar 27 19:05:40 2009

>> Next topic:  Species suggestions? - brhaco, Sat Apr 4 09:19:50 2009
<< Previous topic:  RT not 100%, help please - onthemove, Tue Feb 17 22:47:44 2009