return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Hi John........

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chuckwallas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tgreb at Sat Mar 28 09:50:47 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tgreb ]  

Ya know I got a bit burnt out over the past few years. I got into some large ctenos of several species but man what a pain in the butt! I have never seen a lizard that hates its own species so much in my life except maybe humans. All they want to do is kill each other. Even the females. I ended up with a cluster---- of cages all containing one animal. It was a fiasco. So I ended up parting what I could out to friends and selling the rest. In fact I just sold my last 2 lone males to a guy in NY.
Over the past couple years I have dabbled in tortoises a little and now have 8 egyptians(kleinmmanni) and 7 eastern hermans(hermanni boetgeri) and I tell you what they are so much less maint that lizards. I really enjoy them and the kids do too.
Of course I still have the chucks: varius and ater. About 40 or so of them. They are my favorites as you know and I will have chucks until I die I think. LOL.
I was also into the blue rock lizards for a while. I got a couple good clutches over the past couple years but then I had problems with the females. The ones I was raising up from John C. became gravid way too young and ended up egg bound and croaking. Then may adult male bred the heck out of the female and just drug her down to nothing. She never recoveed from her last clutch and just sort of whithered away. So I ended up with a few males that I just sold off plus all the babies. They were really nice blue animals. Them and the babies are living in nice AZ sun now. I have seen them several times and you cannot believe the difference some natural sun can make. They live outdoors all year going down into hibernation nicely for 5 months out of the year and the intense blue they get is incredible.
So now I just have the chucks and the torts. How about you?

Tom

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Its embarrassing to say, but... - johne, Mon Mar 30 15:45:55 2009

<< Previous Message:  RE: John just look for any foothills.... - johne, Fri Mar 27 17:16:48 2009