return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: upper respiratory infection**please help

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sulcata & Spurred Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tripletoes at Fri Apr 10 11:45:29 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tripletoes ]  

there is no antibiotic that i am aware of that you can buy over the counter for an ri. this is what i have done to cure it though. i got one of thoes heavy duty spotlight fixtures from the hardware store (make sure it has a ceramic base or can handle what you are about to put to it) the ones with the clamp and they have a aluminum piece that goes around the bulb. any way hopefully you know the one i am talking about. i get a 150 watt flood light and install it in the spot light. depending on the size of the sulcata i place the tort in a large rubbermaid container at LEAST twice the size of its body.turn on the spotlight so it is on half of the container make sure that the sulcata has plenty of room to get out of the light if it needs to dont overheat it! i usually place the bulb so that it is about 12 in. from the top of its shell. keep a close eye on it and feel the top of the shell after about 30 min. you want it to be hot kinda of like it has been sunning in the middle of summer, you dont want it to hot to where your like any body got some eggs? if its to hot of course back up the bulb. this is a solution i have used in the past as an alturnative to baytril or other antibiotics. yes the vet is the best solution but not always an option. i sent 3 to the vet this winter and it got pricey, about 300 with the scrip. also idk what part of the us you are in but it is warming up. the sulcata uses heat along with most other reptiles to activate its immune system. so it might just kick it all el natural. good luck!! i hope this helps

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: upper respiratory infection**please help - bab310, Fri Apr 10 14:12:57 2009

<< Previous Message:  upper respiratory infection**please help - bab310, Thu Apr 9 09:04:21 2009