return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Blue Tongue Skink - Plugged Nostrils etc

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Lizards - General Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: nekoosa at Sun Apr 12 10:26:18 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by nekoosa ]  

I have a 3 yr old Blue Tongue. He has had problems for more than the past year with plugged nostrils, too much saliva, and cracked front feet.

I have taken him to 2 vets (no herp vets in my area). The first gave him a vitamin A shot (it's vet-speak for I don't know but have to charge you for something so a vit. A shot will do).

The second vet scraped some of the dried crispy saliva built up on his lips and some skin from his feet and did a culture. They then prescribed antibiotic shots for the bacteria under the dried saliva and soaking often with betadine in the soak water.
His feet are better, just one crack to heal. He is now missing almost all his front toes. Any dead skin no longer builds up on his feet because he is soaked often and the original build up is now off!

However, the plugged nostrils and excess saliva are still present. I feel he produces too much saliva because his nostrils are always plugged... just like we would do if our sinuses were blocked. I soak him and get it off, but then tomorrow they will be plugged up again - he doesn't have any bubbles, nor a strange breathing sound.

I need to get to the cause of the plugged nostrils, which isn't being addressed by the vets.

I spoke on-line with Donna (captivebred.com), a blue tongue breeder and she suggested this forum as she has had several emails in the past with this same concern, but hasn't experienced the problem with her BTs and hasn't heard back from anyone as to what the problem was and how they went about fixing it.

So, I'm looking for help from someone who HAS EXPERIENCED this same problem with their blue tongue AND has found out what it is and how to treat it AND that treatment worked.

What I DON'T WANT is more suggestions off the cuff from well-meaning people who haven't experienced this problem. It's not that I want to be rude, but I've been dealing with this for over a year and have spent over $600 on vet bills to still not get to the root problem and a solution. My BT now makes a mad dash to get away every time he sees me coming because he has to constantly undergo some treatment that doesn't work.

Thanks in advance for whatever help can be offered.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Blue Tongue Skink - Plugged Nostrils etc - PHEve, Mon Apr 27 16:44:21 2009