return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

3rd grade classroom

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Amphibians - General Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: cwolf at Sat Apr 18 23:27:14 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cwolf ]  

My wife is a middle school science teacher and will be moving to third grade next year. She has successfully maintained and bred lots of reptiles in her classroom, and amphibians have been really tricky for us. We had a pacman frog for 2 years and it suddenly died on us. Ever since we have tried 2 more pacmans and neither of them would eat and eventually also died. As far as we could tell we had them setup properly. We tried both full aquatic setups, to coir, and the decorative sponge things. We also had tried them on various lighting on timers, and had a mid 80 warm side with room temp cool sides of 72-75 depending on time of day. The tap water at the school is to put it nicely hideous, so we hauled water in from home that we dechlorinated. She has put me on a quest to find somthing else to maintain since one of their main science subjects is the difference between reptiles and amphibians. The kids really liked the pacman frog, but he was always invisible and hidden away, until feeding time. I have read that the fire belly toads are more active, somewhat social, and are easy to keep. Im wondering if we could get any input either about a fool proof setup for them, or if you might reccomend somthing else? Food supply is also a slight problem since there isnt anywhere within an hour drive for us to get small crickets, so I am a bit aprehensive about the fire bellys. We can get red wigglers and mealworms easily, and I maintain a small colony of rodents. We have alot of terrariums to use for this as well, everything from a 2.5 gallon tank to a 75 gallon. So size isnt much of an issue for us in that respect. I have read about larger toads but really dont know where to go with this. We are looking for somthing that will be easy to keep, visible during the day, and somthing that wont need a water resivoir larger than a water dish, and somthing that wont hurt the kids Any input would be awesome!

Thank you
Chris

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Moss Alternative - BowieKnife357, Wed Jun 3 11:32:56 2009
<< Previous topic:  Pixie Frog Help - animalmenagerie, Sun Apr 12 20:46:00 2009