return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Mar 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Mar 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Mar 23, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Mar 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Snake Presentations

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herps and Kids ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHFaust at Thu Apr 30 23:34:12 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHFaust ]  

One thing I have done in the past is start off with an introduction and some quick rules. This tends to get some attention to the kids.

"Remember today that once you have touched reptiles we have a strict rule. Don't stick your fingers in your eyes, ears, mouth and most important no nose picking. If you are afraid of the animals here today feel free to sit in the back. If you scream and I jump, I scare the animal and I might get bit. If I the snake bites me, I get to bite you. Everyone who wants a chance to pet or hold some of the animals will have a chance." This has always gotten everyone's attention and I have never had a child mis-behave. Another thing that has worked well in the past is having a few "assistants". 2-3 who earned the privilege to help. Usually it is a child in the class the teacher invited me from. I tend to schedule an entire day where I incorporate all classes. But I always have a child or three to help herd the others in, hold a ball python and show it around, corral my sulcatta. It isnt a big need, but it does help and kids learned that once they got the chance to help, others want the chance and they tend to behave a LOT better.

Then I tend to go into the schpeil about the rescue (which is why I am there in the first place) Its very hard to work in a great amount of info. I go into who lays eggs and who is live bearing. Show differences between boa and python, talk about endangered species. But I tend to spend no more than 5 mins per animal for smaller children. With an average 30 mins per group, I get through probably 5 animals with questions allowed during each animal.

I also offer activity/coloring books with a little info about my rescue in the back for the kids to take home. Shameless self promotion.
-----
Cindy
PHFaust

Email Cindy

Land of the Outcasts!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Thanks... - mfoux, Wed May 6 08:22:24 2009

<< Previous Message:  Snake Presentations - mfoux, Thu Apr 30 15:35:20 2009