return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Housing concerns

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Morelia Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: winegrad at Sat May 2 15:37:37 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by winegrad ]  

I'm set to receive my first carpet python in a few days; an Irian Jaya. I'm pretty excited and want to setup his enclosure correctly so I'm not tempted to handle him too much during his first few days of adjusting.

The enclosure I have now is a 45 breeder with normal dimensions. I've kept ball pythons and Colombian boas before, so I do know my way around snakes. With that said, I'd like for this guy to have a more "natural" type of a setup and wanted to inquire as to whether anybody here has done such a task.

My plan involves a few sheets of corkbark used as hiding spots and/or background cover. I'd also want to add a few branches for him to rest and bask on. For the substrate, I was thinking either coco fiber from the petstore, or some sort of (hopefully cheaper) mix of soil/vermiculite. I would also like to use tropical plants where I could (non-poisonous of course).

My main concerns stem from the difficulty of having to clean this environment. I don't mind replacing the substrate every two weeks (or weekly?) but I'm having trouble finding a chemical to sanitize the cage with that won't harm the snake and plants. Also, I've used coco fiber before but remembered that sometimes it can bring mites with it. I've been told an easy way to fix this problem is to bake the substrate at 250*F for at least 30 mins.

I'd like some feedback on my little "plan" here. Look promising or is it a lot more work than I'm anticipating?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]