return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Star Gazing Gila

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gila & Beaded Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: VinnyButch at Thu May 14 11:48:20 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by VinnyButch ]  

I just got a baby Gila that I'm pretty worried about. The day after he arrived, he ate two pink mice, so I was pretty happy about that. He hasn't eaten since then though. It's about ten days now. He's a pretty clumsy little guy compared to my other Gilas, and he has a bit of a problem with 'star gazing', where he looks straight up, (often even further than 90 degrees) and kind of twists his little neck around for a while until he gets his bearings. If he accidentally flips over, it takes him quite a while to turn back right side up. I've seen similar symptoms in Boas, and it usually means neurological problems, and often is the beginning of the end.
On the other hand, when he's not showing any signs of problems, he's great. He's quick to hiss and turn at my finger, ready to bite, looking like a normal, feisty little Gila.
I bought him from a dealer, rather than a breeder, so I don't think he'll be any help. Besides, he ate for me and looked fine for a couple of days, so I really don't have any reason to think he showed problems before I got him.
If anyone has had any experience like this with a Gila, please let me know what you did and how everything turned out.
By the way, He's in a four foot cage with aspen bedding. There are six hides in the cage with him, three humid, and three dry.
The temps range from 92 on the hot side to 70 on the cool side, and the temp change from one side to the other is gradual, not abrupt. I've tried dipping pinkies in egg, but it didn't convince him to try one. My other GIlas loved the leftover egg, though.

Thanks,
Vinny

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Star Gazing Gila - horridumangeli, Sat May 16 03:06:53 2009 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: Star Gazing Gila - DennisDeLapJr, Sun May 17 09:51:16 2009