return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Snake escape? How worried should I be?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rosy Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: rich815 at Thu May 21 16:13:42 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rich815 ]  

My young son and I just got a 1-year old albino rosy boa last weekend at the Herp show here in San Francisco. We are noobs but did a load of advance research for years and feel we have things well setup and she seems happy. She has already eaten and kept down two pinkies.

We have her in a 29 gal high fish tank and I have a commercially-purchased hinged plastic-framed screen lid on the tank. It seems like a very good lid in that the rear portion is screw-eyed down tight from all three sides and the front hinged portion has strong plastic clips that click down very firmly and tightly over the thick plastic lip of the tank. The screen portions seem fairly tight and edges are all strongly glued down. For extra percaution I laid smallish but heavy flat stones on top of lid on the front corners of the framed screen.

To me it would seem there is no way the snake can get out. The tank is glass and sealed all-around (formerly used as a fish tank with no leaks) and this top seems secure with no edges even slightly cracked open or gaping. Yet I see in mamy online forums NUMEROUS posts with people lamenting that their snake got out! Now my wife is VERY nervous about snakes. She is fine looking at the snake as long as it in the tank and all is secure. But she's is very afraid it might escape, even telling us if it does she's moving out to her parents until we find it. And if that happened it would be good-bye snake after that and forever.

Is there anything else I should do short of buying a larger tank and doing a tank inside a tank (like a mini-Fort Knox)? I am so afraid that even though I think it's all secure I'll be one of the people who come home one day, look in the tank, and the snake is gone! Thanks for some hints or suggestions....or re-assurances!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  8/22 hatchling np. - RobertStout, Tue Aug 25 14:16:16 2009
<< Previous topic:  MONO STRIPE ROSY QUESTION - CaliRepGuy, Thu May 14 21:46:53 2009