return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

The Waiting Is The Hardest Part

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Anacondas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: karlhermann at Sat May 23 07:59:20 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by karlhermann ]  

Last spring and summer my female green really started pounding meals compared to previous years. She consumed frequent large meals in June, July, and August and then slowed down some. I took this as a sign that she might be going into her first breeding cycle. Her last significant meal was 10/26. I contacted my friends that have a nice male and we introduced the male just after her last large meal. He immediately attempted to court her but she wasn’t receptive. I continued to remove and reintroduce the male throughout November and into December. The little guy worked his tail off, but she was not impressed. In mid December she shed and I believe I caught them locked up for the first time. She had one more small meal on 12/19. Around 12/23 she seemed larger than what I would have expected considering her small meal (6 pound pig). The male continued to court her and she finally was letting her guard down on a regular basis. In mid January the breeding continued and she seemed darker than normal. On January 18 it appeared that she might be ovulating. At this point the male was no longer interested in her. On January 28 and 29th I caught her laying on her side (Photo 1). She looked incredibly uncomfortable. This seemed usual since I thought she ovulated 10 days earlier. I still don’t know what exactly happened, but things seem to be progressing nicely. Photo 2 was taken towards the end of March. She spends most of her time on the heat tape, but still wants to go in her soaking tub that is separate from her cage. I’ve rotating her between the cage and the tub every couple of days and have had no issues. The last photo is from last week. She continues to work the heat tape, but doesn’t spend as much time on it as she did earlier. I caught her laying on her side a few time this week.
This process has been very exciting and interesting, but I have to say I’m starting to get overly anxious. The best case scenario is that she will deliver a nice batch of greens between now and early July, but this waiting is absolutely driving me nuts. There still are so many things that could go wrong. I tip my hat to all of you that have successfully bred greens in the past. I don’t know if I’ll be able to relax enough between now and when she pops to enjoy the ride. I’ll try. Who knows if I’ll ever get lucky enough to get this close again

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: The Waiting Is The Hardest Part - mjf, Sun May 24 00:19:46 2009
>> Next Message:  Great work Karl..... - Kelly_Haller, Sun May 24 02:30:12 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: The Waiting Is The Hardest Part - ruddmic, Thu May 28 21:33:16 2009