return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Sold to me as a female (is this a male?)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chuckwallas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: pamnsam94 at Sun Jun 7 18:54:16 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by pamnsam94 ]  

Take a look at my previous post with the pics of the dead male and the smaller male, the "one that got away" LOL (the one I sent back). Of course, I've seen males the size of the smaller one that have a lot more red. Since he was definitely a mature male (his femoral pores were huge) I wondered whether he would get much more red. How long after maturity do redbacks continue to get more red, or does it simply depend on the population or individual?

Unfortunately, like a fish attracted to a shiny lure, I focused on the "shiny" more colorful male. I ignored my gut instinct that something might be wrong with him and instead, I explained his inactivity away by attributing it to him still being cool right out of the box. However, after I pulled out the larger male from the bag, and as I was checking him out, the smaller male, still in the bag, came crawling out alert and active, cocking his head, checking out his surroundings and flicking his tongue. It made me think of a dragon coming out of its lair. I was immediately drawn to the smaller male's activity level and "personality". I hated to send him back, but I was quick to do so, primarily because I had ordered the larger, more colorful one, but also because I simply wanted to hurry up and send him back so I could get the female I had ordered. A lesson learned I guess to be more patient. I should have held on to both males for even a single day because by then, it was obvious there was something wrong with the bigger male. Unfortunately, the smaller male has already been sent out to someone else. Since Nick mentioned that neurological problems can result from using products to get rid of mites, I've asked the guy whether he used any such products, but haven't heard back from him yet.

Perry

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Sold to me as a female (is this a male?) - pamnsam94, Tue Jun 9 17:42:34 2009

<< Previous Message:  RE: Sold to me as a female (is this a male?) - pamnsam94, Sat Jun 6 19:28:54 2009 image in post