return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

A few field pics of Nebraska Northerns

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Water Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mzillig at Tue Jun 9 09:08:24 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mzillig ]  

While visiting a small eastern Nebraska lake last Friday with my son, we saw numerous northern water snakes along a rocky dam. We decided to catch a few for some pictures. All were photographed and released unharmed. They were not amused though, and did not suffer the indignity of capture without a fight. That's what I like about them - they don't take crap from anyone(all of the blood in the pictures is mine ).

Scrambling around quietly on hands and knees on unstable rocks to sneak up on them, making a desperate lunge trying not to fall into the water, and hopefully grabbing them at mid-body with one hand before they dive into the water or a rock crevice makes for an adventure. It also makes you look completly ridiculous. We got some very odd looks from people fishing on the bank. This one tagged me 3 times before I could stand up and get 2 hands on it to get it under control. If any of them had been bigger the carnage probably would have been much worse. Oh well, you gotta be willing to suffer for your art, and in the words of my old field biology professor, "herpin' ain't for sissies".

Here is a slightly blurry belly pic

Resting on a rock a few feet off shore

Also ran across a nice ~4.5' Pituophis. Tame as a kitten, unlike the Nerodia.

Not a bad haul for ditching an afternoon of work and spending 2 hours goofing off with your boy. I highly recommend putting it on your list of things to do this summer. It was the most fun I've had in a long time.

Cheers,
MZ

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: A few field pics of Nebraska Northerns - asnakelovinbabe, Tue Jun 9 17:59:09 2009