return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Temporary cage for moneky tail skink?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Skinks ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: renwick at Thu Jun 25 08:52:18 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by renwick ]  

I am rescueing a monkey tail skink tomorrow from some people that have not been taking care of it correctly. They currently have it in a 20 gallon aquarium! Since I need to get it out of that place fast I have limited time to find an enclosure and most stores only sell aquariums that are too small. Here are my two options.

1) my friend is giving me a wire cage that she used for her rats (it is not specifically a rat cage). That is 6H x 6W x 3 feet deep. The upside of this is that it has plenty of room for climbing and even has ramps that can be placed in it. The down side is that it won't hold humidity or heat very well and it is hard to clean (which is why I get it for free). The first part probably won't be too bad because it is decently hot and humid here right now and I can probably put a room humidifier in or near the cage to boost the humidity. The second part sucks though because herbivores poop a lot and it supposedly smells bad.

2) A 2H x 7W X 3 feet deep cage that was designed for a reticulated python. It's easy to clean and has build in heat and retains heat and humidity well and is easy to clean but it is not tall. I hear various things about these skinks and some say they need at least 4 feet of climbing space others say if the other dimensions are big enough it doesn't matter. I can add things for it to climb on but I'm not sure if the cage is just too short.

Considering it would be temporary housing for only a month or so before I can get a beetter cage. What do you guys think would be the better ?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Temporary cage for moneky tail skink? - PHLdyPayne, Mon Jun 29 14:49:33 2009