return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: PREVENT PYTHON BAN JULY 27!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Morelia Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: froghog at Mon Jul 27 22:04:33 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by froghog ]  

Here's the email I sent.

Dear Mr. Conyers Jr.,

I am writing in regard to a bill that is supposed to be heard in the next few days. The bill is meant to amend title 18, United States Code, to include constrictor snakes of the species Python genera as an injurious animal. I fully understand the intent of the bill which is likely in response to recent incidents involving snakes. Ranging from the rapid expansion of invasive species in Florida to the unfortunate death of an infant in recent weeks, snakes have certainly been the subject of less than favorable press. It is, however, important to note that the subject of most of these stories is only one species within the genus Python not all species within the genus.

If you were to ask most responsible owners of snakes, it is likely that they would all agree that the Burmese Python (Python molurus bivittatus) is not an animal that should be kept by amateurs. Being one of the largest species of snake in the world, the Burmese Python is an animal that is meant to be respected and never treated lightly. H.R. 2811 is a bill that has good intentions but addresses too broad a spectrum of animals. The genus Python certainly includes the Burmese Python which is capable of growing close to 20 feet and 10 pounds but, it also includes Children's Pythons which grow to a maximum of 30 inches and is for all intents and purposes, harmless. Between the two extremes, the genus of Python includes 50 or so species, the majority of which do not come close to approaching the sheer size and mass of the Burmese Python.

I would urge you to amend H.R. 2811 so that it better reflects the purpose behind the bill without detrimentally affecting the community of snake keepers who are seeking to not only propagate many rare species of snakes but to also educate future generations about some of the most misunderstood and unjustifiably feared animals on the planet. I am a middle school science teacher who found science through my first love of reptiles and amphibians. I frequently use what I have learned through keeping snakes as well snakes themselves to bolster my curriculum and I can say without any hesitation that these animals have jolted the curiosity of some of my most stubborn and unmotivated students. I fear that this bill will erroneously outlaw the very animals that I care for and trust not only in my house but also in my classroom.

Once again, I understand that some species of python can certainly be viewed as dangerous but I would ask that the bill be altered to reflect a ban only on those species that have been proven to be potentially injurious rather than the entirety of the genus of Python. Thank you so much for your time.

Sincerely,

Paul

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: PREVENT PYTHON BAN JULY 27!!!!!!!!!! - olstyn, Tue Jul 28 07:25:00 2009

<< Previous Message:  PREVENT PYTHON BAN JULY 27!!!!!!!!!!!!! - cthuleo, Mon Jul 27 00:53:49 2009