return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Congradulations and good luck!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gila & Beaded Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: TheSerpentsCoil at Sat Aug 29 17:09:21 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by TheSerpentsCoil ]  

I've been in the hobby for around 10yr's and this is a huge step forward for me. I was told so many times that my first time wouldn't be with beadeds. I candled the eggs approx 2 weeks in and saw tiny black eyes and heart beats, I was floored! I have had humidity issues which I've fought back and forth. I'm trying something now which really seems to be working! The eggs are starting to fill out again which is great! Honestly the incubator was a last minute thing, I didn't think I was getting any eggs this year. I grabbed 2 bins, a larger one and smaller one I could put inside. Then I pulled the heat cord off of my vision rack I'm not currently using. I ran to Lowes and purchased vermiculite and spagnum moss. Drilled some holes in both bins set up my helix and humidity gauge's. I learned the hard way that the helix temp is not going to match the egg temp. My helix is set at 78 and my egg temp is 82 which I'm told is perfect. My temp gauge in the incubator show's about 80. Humidity is at 95% which is also perfect. I will be building an incubator for next year so I don't have all of these problems!

I house my beadeds together year round. I feed them seperately however. I've never had any trouble. My female takes forever to eat so I usually take the male out and handle him for a bit till she's at the tail then he can go back in. I've only had one problem in which I put him in to soon and It could of cost me (a finger). I have them in a Vision #422. They are smaller in size around 29inches on the male and 27 on the female (although they both just shed). They are 4yrs old. If I'm lucky enough to get these guys to hatch I'll be getting into gila's this year!

If you ask the right people it's not that big of a secret. All you really need to know is what times of the year to cool them then put them together and what times to expect eggs if you get any. I now know what a gravid female about to drop looks like. Very puffy and they will refuse to eat. Certain aspects of it is a secret but reptiles is more of a business now then ever. Personally I like to share info so ask away.

Everyone I've spoke to that uses the hovabator has had great results, your friends must of been doing something wrong.

I'm probably going to go the cooler(or fridge/freezer) route when this is all over, don't want to switch them up now.

-----
John Light

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Pics of my Rio Fuerte's - Fascination, Wed Sep 9 21:59:29 2009
<< Previous topic:  Odd thing found with female beaded - tracehardin, Thu Jul 16 19:05:52 2009