return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Albino CK??? new to this!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to California Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: VHPlac at Wed Aug 26 17:41:21 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by VHPlac ]  

3 weeks ago my teenage son bought a 20 inch Albino California Kingsnake. At the moment we keep her in a 10gal tank. Once he/she is bigger we will move her into a bigger cage that my husband and son are building.
We did do our research before we bought the snake, but till today we had no luck finding any pictures online that would resemble our snake. Now we are not sure if we really got what we paid for.
It is not about the money, because she is a great snake!
Just things like:
-They told us she needs one pinkie every week.
BUT She eats 3 of them at once and you cant even see a lump.
-They told us she would grow up to be around 3-4ft. long.
BUT everything I could find says about 48inches, maybe even more.
-They told us it was a female.
BUT as she was hanging out in her tank something was hanging out of her lower part that didn't look female at all. Just once... but it was there!

Now we are concerned about the identity of our new baby and we are a bit scared not to give her what she needs because we were miss informed!
We don't care if he/she ends up to be 12ft. long or if we have to feed her a piglet a month once she is grown up.
We just want to do the right thing!
We are 99.9% sure that it is a Kingsnake... just not 100% sure.

She is very calm, never jumpy when handled and looks and acts very healthy.
Her/His pattern is very 'crisp' soft yellow and a light purple.
(A purple Albino???) Red Eyes.
Her/His belly has a few orange spots.
He/She shed the 2nd day we had her in our home and started eating the day after.
No mites or other creepy crawlies.

We just have a few basic questions:
1. Are 3 pinkies a week enough? Or can we upgrade to something larger. (We plan to feed live mice at some point, just like the Boa)
2. Is it really a California King? I hope someone can let us know for sure.
3. They told us she was abut 4 Months old. Somewhere I read that 20 inches are more likely 1 year old or older. How old is our new family member???

My son is not all new to snakes, he already owns a Boa that is doing really well.

ill add some pictures hope they will help!
Body

Pattern Daylight

Body2

In daylight

Thanks a bunch in advanced,
Heidi
(new snake mommy)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Albino CK??? new to this! - RossCA, Sun Aug 30 14:42:47 2009