return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Crestie Problems

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crested Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: sportygurl3392 at Wed Sep 2 18:25:41 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by sportygurl3392 ]  

Hi everyone,
I have a few concerns about my oldest crestie. She is about 4 1/2 years old, and is usually around 60g. In the past few months, she has been losing weight, and stopped eating on a regular basis. She does not normally eat crickets, so a fruit mixture is her regular diet (my other 4 cresties eat the same diet and are not having any issues). She is now weighing in at 35g. I have been to the vet and we have ruled out parisites and infections (bacterial). She has had x-rays taken a few months back, and everything was fine there as well.
Any ideas why she may have stopped eating? I change the type of food each day hoping that one will smell better to her than others. I also suplement with Miner-Al (with D3), Repti-Cal, Carnivore Care, Insectivore, and Crested Gecko Diet (and each she refuses to eat) I have force-fed her every once in-a-while but it stresses her out. She had a bad shed yesterday, that I needed to assist with.
She has a UVB light set up on her cage for 8 hours a day(currently in a 12x12x18 inch - normally in a 18x18x24 inch tank with 1-2 other females)
Also, she has been burying herself with alarming frequency. I unburied her 3 times today, and she did the same yesterday. She also has substrate in her mouth when I unbury her, which I am worried may cause impaction.

Any ideas/suggestions on the eating problem or weight loss?
Also, any ideas on why they bury themselves?

PS. she has never been bred.

Thank you all in advance

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Crestie Problems - newmann, Thu Sep 3 12:02:14 2009
>> Next Message:  my ideas that have worked for me... - riiotgrrl, Fri Sep 4 11:53:30 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: Crestie Problems - riiotgrrl, Fri Sep 4 11:58:15 2009