return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

How to help impaction?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tegus ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: thesamuraigeisha at Mon Sep 7 01:28:21 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by thesamuraigeisha ]  

Hello,

I have a 3 year old black and white. She was loose in the living room a couple of nights ago, and after some serious straining she suffered a prolapse. I got her to the vet the next morning and $230 later she is better. However, when the vet did xrays, she informed me that there was some sort of blockage that may have caused the prolapse, and that it looks too big for Katie to pass naturally. As far as I know, the blockage could be one of three things.
1. Bones of a chick, which she should naturally digest.
2. Beef jerky (which she was NOT supposed to have, but discovered while out last week and had a bit before I took it away)
3. Shredded coconut bedding. She is fed outside the enclosure and I have never seen her eat bedding, but if this is what is blocking her up, I don't know if she can digest it.
Surgery would be hundreds and hundreds of dollars (which I really can't afford). Currently, she is home, on oral antibiotics, and I'm giving her fresh figs and grapes which should be easy to digest.

The vet I took her too (the only one in my town who does reptiles) has treated tegus, but not many, and honestly admitted she wasn't really sure what to advise. I guess I am asking for general advice on care at this point, and specifically if there is some sort of laxative or something I could give Katie to help her.

Thanks for your time!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: How to help impaction? - laurarfl, Mon Sep 7 10:45:54 2009