return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Rubber boa just had babies

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rubber Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: RichardFHoyer at Thu Sep 10 10:17:01 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by RichardFHoyer ]  

WillemP:
Unlike garter snakes that shed immediately or shortly after birth, Rubber Boa neonates usually require from about a week to sometime three weeks to shed relative to a number of factors including the prevailing temperature at which they are maintained.

Undoubtedly there are many ways to successfully handle newborn Rubber Boas. The method I have used for neonates from many hundreds of litters obtained from both captive bred females and captured gravid females is to place the neonates in cottage cheese containers about 2/3rds full of moist old Douglas fir sawdust with small holes in the lid to allow ventilation. I then leave the containers with neonates on the floor of my study at normal room temperatures which is about 70 during the day and cooler at night.

As for feeding, post partum females will frequently take a meal right after or soon after parturition.

If the parent female was in a moderate to very robust condition when she began the gestation period, the neonates should have a considerable amount of stored excess yoke in their abdomens. You can view this stored yoke if you hold the neonate up to a light source as the young are semi-transparent. They can survive on that yoke for well over a year without ever taking a meal provided the neonates are properly hydrated and maintained at temperatures that mimic what occurs in the wild. Consequently, there is no need to be concerned if such neonates do not take prey after shedding.

Keep in mind the species is cool temperature tolerant and can carry-on most life functions at temperatures in the 60's to low 70's. Except during gestation, there is no need to keep Rubber Boas at temperatures in the high 70's and above. The higher the temperature at which specimens are maintained, the more active they tend to be, the faster they will utilize body reserves, which in turn translates into more frequent feeding required to maintain relative health (weight) of specimens.

In the wild, parturition usually takes place from late August into October with the peak occurring in the second week of Sept. With neonates taking from about 10 days or more to shed, they are not left with a great deal of time to secure and digest a meal before the time arrives to find a place to brumate over winter. Thus I do not believe that most neonates secure a meal before brumation. As a rule, I have not offered meals to any neonates I have intend to retain. I just set them up for brumation and then offer prey the following April when I remove the neonates from brumation conditions. This is precisely what transpires in the wild.

If your goal is to attain rapid growth and maturity as soon as possible, then one can try and feed neonates soon after they shed and keep the specimens at abnormal temperatures through what normally would be the brumation period. I did that for three litters in the late 1960's and early 1970's as I had some specific goals for those boas. Ever since, I simply have attempted to mimic what occurs in the wild with respect to temperatures and maintaining both the adult and immature Rubber Boas I have maintained.

Richard F. Hoyer

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  new rubbers - adam_s, Sun Sep 13 14:10:09 2009
<< Previous topic:  Help from the Hoyer's please. - pictigaster, Wed Aug 5 10:44:17 2009