return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Water bowl/skin question

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Morelia Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ekelty1 at Sat Oct 3 10:35:29 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ekelty1 ]  

I picked up a 50/50 cross at the Daytona show the other month - he's probably about 6'. He never showed any interest in his water bowl until the first time he fed. After feeding he immediately tried to fit as much of himself in his water bowl. A couple days later I gave him a water bowl he could fit his entire self in. He thermoregulates by going back and forth from basking spot to water bowl during the day and spends most of the night in the water bowl. If I had to guesss, I'd say he spends 12-14 hours in bowl per day. The water bowl is not the only cool place in the cage which has an ambient temp of 78. I thought it strange that he was spending so much time in the water until I noticed his skin began to take on an opaque appearance over a 2 day period. Interestingly though, his eyes never became opaque (I've been checking everyday). He's had the opaque appearance for about 8-9 days now and I've been holding off on feeding until he sheds. I've had him for 5 weeks, fed him twice, but no defecation yet. All this info is leading to a few questions....

Does anyone else have a carpet that spends this much time in the water (keep in mind he was soaking 2 weeks before he ever went opaque)? Does this much time in the water pose any health problems?

Is it possible that all his soaking has somehow dulled his color and he's not actually getting ready to shed (I'm puzzled by the lack of opaque eyes)?

Perhaps I'm worrying for no good reason, but after being out of the hobby for years I thought I'd ask folks with more carpet experience than myself.

Thanks,
Evan

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Water bowl/skin question - TimS, Sat Oct 3 13:14:18 2009