return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Do they calm down as they get older?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Iguanas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: medic8388 at Mon Oct 5 22:47:28 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by medic8388 ]  

I am working on taming my igg and it seems to be a very slow process. He's still quite young, Ive only had him for a few months. Housing is right, temps are right (basking area 98F, ambient 86-90F, and a cool zone of about 80-82F). He has specific UVA, and UVB bulbs, and I keep up on misting as much as I can. A mistking system and a megaray are in the near future. Diet is correct as well (I believe), he gets a staple green (tends to rotate each week) and two staple veggies which are mixed in porportion to maintain a 2:1 Ca:P ratio. These are belended in the food processor to make them easy to eat and store. He also has live collards in his cage to snack on.

Now, onto my question

I try to handle Mag every day, even though he dosen't seem to be to fond of the idea. Sometimes he will let me pick him up and sometimes he tries to run away. If hes really excited I'll leave him alone, I don't want to chase him around in his cage (he has lots of room to run away) Once I have him he usually calms down and will just chill out. He only tries to whip or bite if hes in one of his moods, but he usually calms down nicely. I am able to change food/water and do cage maintance with him in the cage and he dosen't seem to mind me being in there, but be is still a bit skiddish at time.

I'd really like to be able to bring him out with out having to 'hold' him and not worry about him jumping down and running off. Do they tend to calm down and stay put as they get older?s

image link: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30491168&l=9e85612615&id=1336635543

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  New Iguana Cage - WOW - ageber, Thu Oct 8 09:17:55 2009
<< Previous topic:  Feeding issue solved - medic8388, Sun Oct 4 17:00:16 2009