return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Growth rates of male and female greens..

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Anacondas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Kelly_Haller at Mon Oct 19 01:00:34 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Kelly_Haller ]  

I would agree for certain if this were a male. Males with good growth will take at least 5 years to hit the 10 feet mark and growth slows considerably after they reach 5 years of age. The growth trajectory of Jud’s male was very similar to his son’s, which I raised from our first litter. My male reached the 10 feet mark in his 5th year, and then slowed considerably after that. He is now 8 years of age and just over 11 feet.

I have 3 older females which I have raised from neonates to large adults and all were between 13 and 13.5 feet by their 6th year. These are the growth rates I have experienced and are representative of individuals that are feeding well and very consistently, but not power fed. Many greens raised in captivity will grow at lesser rates than these due to being either sporadic feeders, not fed frequently by the owners, or just being genetically smaller individuals. Eric could possibly have an extremely exceptional male, but it could also be a female. It would be interesting to see the spurs on this green. A female of that size would have virtually no external spur structure at all, and a male would have considerable external size to its spurs.

Kelly

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Guess whos back? - danaconda, Sun Oct 18 13:50:52 2009