return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

TX Press: Wayward gator to new home

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crocodilians ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: W von Papineäu at Sun Oct 11 11:10:10 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by W von Papineäu ]  

WOAI (San Antonio, Texas) 28 September 09 Wayward gator heads to new home (Kristina De Leon)
San Antonio: A North Side family was surprised to find a 3-foot-long alligator on their front lawn Monday morning.
Police originally had received a call for an alligator skittering across a nearby intersection around the 1600 block of La Manda shortly after 6 a.m. By the time police got there, that alligator was right up in Janie Diaz' front yard. And she says, she was glad they got here, just in time.
Diaz says, "I opened the door and I came out and said, 'Officer is there anything wrong?' 'Yeah, there's an alligator in the front of your yard.' 'Dijo what?!! How big!?' 'It's a little one ma'am, come and see it.' I said, 'no, no, no!'"
The alligator was making its way towards her door. But Officer Brian Christensen, who knows a thing or two about gators, kept that from happening.
Officer Christensen says, "It’s not that big, coming from Georgia, I’ve had to deal with reptiles before and it takes a couple of people, and just be careful."
He and a fellow officer seized the reptile and bound its mouth with duct tape.
Police originally had received a call for an alligator skittering across a nearby intersection near the 1600 block of La Manda.
It was put in a police unit to await its pick up by Texas Parks and Wildlife staff. Alligators aren’t common to our area and it’s thought the gator came out of the close-by Martinez Creek near Basse Rd. and West Ave.
Game Warden David Chavez says, "It appears to be in good health, so what I’ll end up doing is releasing it back into its natural habitat."
TxPWD Warden Chavez says that natural habitat is a nearby river or Choke Canyon.
Wayward gator heads to new home

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]