return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

HELP she almost died!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Water Dragons & Basilisks ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: fc3schick87 at Sun Oct 11 22:03:09 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by fc3schick87 ]  

i got a breading group of 4 from agama international.

my first mistake was housing them in a 4x2x5 foot 2 level enclosure. i guess between the females there were some bad looks and added stress. they are all seporated now and can not see eachother.

i had them for 3.5 months before i noticed a really big problem. one female i found on her back. she was in bad shape and most likely shock form dehydration. i took her to the vet and he gave me .05 of baytril once a day. .15 of calcium 2 times a day and 2ml of food (flukers emergency care or chicken baby food) daily

i administer this daily and place her into her water after feeding where she stays for 30-90 min before she slithers off and hides. she doesnt have enough strength to climb or barly walk. she is really shaky. its been 16 days and she has gained 25 grams and looks better, gaining strenght too

the other female that wasnt eating is doing ok. i've been soaking her every other day and giving her some food every other day and also giving her a touch of calcium (less then .15 a day)

i gave her reptaid for 6 days before i started her on calcium.

the enclosures have uvb 10 liniar fluro tubes, repti sun and they are with the 6 month period. the basking lamps are 60 watt incondecent or 26 wat CFL (not uvb) which gives enough warmth with out going over 80 degrees ambient temp. humiditiy is accurate to alabama. typically its around 55-75% but i know they are not tropical so they dont need high high humidity. i watch the humidity for alabama and try to replicate that....

so where i screwed up was i acclimated them wrong. i tried to just leave them alone and let them do there thing but that was the wrong thing to do. i was also using a MVB 125 watt which was to hot. hence why one female was worce then the other. that scared female stayed in a hide closest to the mvb.. bad mistake!!!!!!!

does any one have hope in my reptiles that they will start eating on their own again?

the male eats daily and eats right out of my hand... the females are the ones that had so much stress.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE i need expert help....

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: HELP she almost died!!!!!!!!!!! - fc3schick87, Tue Oct 13 23:35:45 2009