return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Blood Python . . . . . . . . . .  The Indian Eyed Turtle . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - June 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - June 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

WTF not eating...I am very worried...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tree Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mom2twinsplus2 at Tue Nov 10 22:33:51 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mom2twinsplus2 ]  

Hi Everyone-

I am so glad to have found this forum. I have tried posting on a couple of other forums over the last few weeks and I have taken many of the suggestions from the other forums already but so far, nothing has worked at all.

I have a White's Tree Frog that I purchased at PetSmart close to a month ago. It is not a full grown WTF...or at least if it is, it would be a small one..but it is not a tiny baby either. It is probably around 3 inches but I am trying not to mess with it too much since things are not going well.

I have it housed in a 12 X12 X18 inch exoterra cage which was recommended to me at the store but I understand now is a bit small. I don't want to change the cage at the moment though and I have heard from many people who have used this cage for a whites without an issue. I will look into upgrading her later once I get whatever is going on with her figured out first...it is bigger than her cage at the pet store was so I don't think the cage can be the primary issue anyhow.

She has fakes plants on two of the walls, a large corner water bowl, a bowl with her food in it on the other side and a flat piece of wood that she can climb on and hide under going across her cage. I started with reptile carpet in her cage, then had frog moss about a day and now have coconut bark (ecoearth) on the base of her cage. She has a lightbulb over her cage that is on during the day and off at night and a mini-zoo-med UTH on the side of her cage. Her cage is about 82 by day (hotter right opposite the UTH) and about 73 at night. Humidity is about 60%...I am misting a couple of time a day.

Since I got her, I don't think she has eaten at all...possibly one cricket but I think it got eaten by the other crickets. I have tried crickets, dubia roaches, superworms, meal worms, a night crawler (ewww...it was huge, died overnight and STUNK when it died), and now I have wax worms in there. I have been leaving food in there 24/7 in a deepish glass cereal bowl so the food can not get out and run around her cage.

At first, I figured it was relocation stress and no big deal....but it has been going on for weeks now and I was under the impression that getting White's to eat was not supposed to be hard at all.

It was suggested to me that I try soaking her in a pedialyte bath...10 parts water to 1 part unflavored pedialyte. I tried that tonight because I am getting desparate...she REALLY did not want to be in that water at all...climbed out and away as fast as she could...I put her in a few times to try to get some of the liquid on her but she seemed to hate it so and I really don't want to handle her or stress her anymore than I have to.

Oh, once I put in the ecoearth bedding...she buried herself for several days...I was told that was a sign of an unhappy frog...now she is up on the side of her cage all the time (not near the UTH though)...I hope that is a good sign of some sort but without eating, I am assuming she will die sooner or later and it is really awful to keep checking on her and wondering when.

Any ideas or advice about what I can do for her would be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Alison

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: WTF not eating...I am very worried... - bradtort, Thu Nov 12 10:32:38 2009 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: WTF not eating...I am very worried... - spider916, Mon Nov 30 20:29:46 2009