return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Dealing with sliding screen tops

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Collared Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: JackAsp at Sat Nov 14 23:54:07 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by JackAsp ]  

How do they not drive you nuts? Especially when you've got a whole room full of 40 breeders and need to be able to easily get in and out of all of them?

I've had one for a few years for my western hognose, but I don't go in and out of a snake cage as often as I go in and out of a collared cage. Plus, the only thing on top for her was a 4' shoplight that sort of sat on the frame while I slid the screen back and forth right under it. Today I finally got a light rigged into a 4X2X1 stackable and gave the snake an upgrade so I could move the July babies into the 40 (I don't dare try the kind of lighting they need in a one-foot-tall stackable,) and I'll tell you, I'm not as crazy about that tank as I feel like I should be.

Between the awkwardness of trying to give the top opening-clearance while still trying to keep the floor of the tank reachable/ the heavier light fixtures used for collared lizards/ the fact that, really, when you'e going in and out several times a day, you start to notice more that those things really don't slide all that smoothly anyway... I'm just wondering, since this seems to be the most popular tank size for these guys, does anybody have any good tricks or suggestions?
-----
0.1 2006 Western Hognose (Bebe)
0.1 age unknown Cane Toad (Hengo)
0.1 2005 White-Banded Sheen Skink (Minerva)
1.0 2006 Northern Diamondback Terrapin (Queequeg)
1.0 2006 Madagascan Speckled "Hognose" (Sigmund)
1.0 2008 Bullsnake (Winkle)
1.2 2008 Eastern Collared Lizards (Pancho, Lupe, and Chica)
2.0 2009 Eastern Collared Lizards (Cesar and Nino)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Dealing with sliding screen tops - Boost, Sun Nov 15 02:31:02 2009
>> Next Message:  Keep an inch or two of space behind - Rosebuds, Sun Nov 15 11:12:34 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: Dealing with sliding screen tops - el_toro, Sun Nov 15 15:22:04 2009 image in post