return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: First time breeding Dumerils questions..

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dumerils Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PBM at Mon Nov 30 23:26:14 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PBM ]  

Breeding Dumerils is fairly easy, and mulitple methods will work. I generally cycle them, sometimes I don't drop temps. too much, other times I'll go into the mid 60's at night. Introduce them, and you should see courtship pretty quick. They will court almost anytime of year honestly, which is why some people get babies from keeping them together year round-not that hard, pretty eager breeders. Sometimes you'll see some off center/tilted positioning of the female early on, and you can also observe ovulation if you're keeping an eye on them. Mine generally have a POS, and also a tendency to have pre-lay sheds as well. One thing I've noticed about this-If they shed before birth it's more than likely a good litter. But, if they drop, then shed, it's usually not a good result (slugs, stillborns, etc.) I usually offer food, smaller than normal, but only early during gestation. That's some rough info, but tried to touch on a few things sort of quickly. Also, in my experience, I have better success with groups of 1.2 or 1.3 both in ovulations and number of offspring vs. 1.1 breedings. Usually all the females in a group will ovulate within a week of each other (really made things easy to track when so many did everything on identical schedules). Some will still tell you 9 month gestations, but I think that's from watching them breed one time, and then getting babies much later. Like I mentioned, they'll court almost anytime, you have to catch the ovulation to have a starting point on your dates. So, don't say "I saw them breeding November 09, and she had babies in Dec 2010, so gestation is 12-13 months", for example. If you have any questions for me, shoot me an e-mail because as was said, this forum is usually dead, so I only come in every so often to see if anything's new, which is probably the same for a lot of other Dumerils breeders that "frequent" the forum. Best of luck, they're really not that hard, and observation is your best tool.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: First time breeding Dumerils questions.. - Brandonsthaman, Mon Nov 30 14:27:51 2009