return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: C.zebrata stillborn x2

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Skinks ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: OliveJewel at Tue Feb 2 14:00:34 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by OliveJewel ]  

I would comment on your situation, but why don't you come check out www.corucia.myfreeforum.org for a whole group of people devoted to breeding and keeping Corucia.

I have a male female pair and have not had a successful live birth yet, just one miscarriage.

There are lots of elements to tweak in getting a successful birth, diet of course (mostly to all greens seems to be ideal and some say a little protein while preg is good, but that's up in the air), social situations, cage size, high humidity and heat, uv for preggos, and some say if they are from diff islands, maybe that leads to incompatible genes (but that would not likely lead to a full term birth, imo, more likely no preg at all). If I had to guess about your situation I'd say it had something to do with heat or humidity or parental/cagemate aggression. I've heard more than one story where people say that if the newborns temps or humidity are not perfect (80-100% humidity and 85-90 deg F) the baby can rapidly deteriorate. And of course it is so hard to know when they are born because it's usually at night. Most people have overhead heat and the babies will usually be born on the floor of the cage. One person said she sets up an undertank heater with a hollow log over that with moist substrate inside and a damp towel over that and the baby made it. My understanding is that these things are critical for baby's survival. As I said, I have not even had a full term birth yet, so I don't have the experience to back up what I'm saying, but over on the forum people have had lots of births.
-----
Lisa Rakestraw
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My skinks:
1.1 Corucia zebrata (Berman and Joni)
2.3 Egernia striolata
2.2 Eumeces schneideri (Jack and Mabel; Kaa and Cochisa)

Hubby's snakes of the Southwest:
0.1 Lichanura orcutti (Rosie)
0.1 Lampropeltis pyromelana (Little Red)
0.1 Pituophis catenifer (Jennifer)
1.1 Bogertophis subocularis (Humphrey and Olive)
0.1 Lampropeltis alterna (Sandy)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  C.zebrata stillborn x2 - tomeles, Tue Nov 24 18:50:53 2009 *HOT TOPIC*