return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Chris Dieter

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crocodilians ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: CDieter at Mon Dec 7 10:58:22 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by CDieter ]  

Hi Tom,

We heat because we feel it makes a noticable difference in the animals well being and for our own peace of mind. Like I mentioned I have a well(2 actually) and I use them but the heaters are better for 2 reasons:

1. Water temperature can be raised faster and to a higher point.

2. Far less messy, heating with a well requires a constant water flow and that water has to go somewhere. We have good drainage but if you couple constant well water flow with a big Texas rain on clay based soil and your talking a serious volume of water.

We are heating natural earth ponds.

I agree with what you have said in principle. The Niles are very temperature tolerant. But they are not bulletproof. Once they are large enough to get into natural Earth ponds they are much more likely to survive our relatively mild winter. The reason being the mud at the bottom of the pond rarely drops below 60 degrees and they dig massive underground burrows. I used to think the winter was a fail safe in case we ever lost an animal but I no longer feel that way, just to many microclimates for them to overwinter and survive. Our challenge is to ensure these microclimates exist within the walls of their enclosure.

Otherwise we have had a loss here and there with animals that are not in natural earth pond(waterlands, concrete, stock tanks). This typically occurs when the water temp drops below 50. Nile crocodiles start to lose muscle control when the temperature drops between 44-50 and drowning is the usual result. There also appears to be some individual variance perhaps based on origin.

One of our main problems with animals outside of Niles is that they tend to get caught on the banks and then a front blows through and they get stuck there unable to move and freeze to death if we don't see them. Spectacled caiman are the worst at this little trick.

Stay well and your turtle is in my thoughts. That animal is really incredible.

Chris
-----
CDieter
'Reason, observation, and experience; the holy trinity of science.'

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Chris Dieter - TOM_CRUTCHFIELD, Mon Dec 7 07:12:27 2009