return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Boa guy with a Uro question

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uromastyx ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mike_panic at Sun Dec 6 12:59:08 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mike_panic ]  

Hey guys. As some of you may know, I breed boas but I have a Uromastyx question for a friend of mine who has a single Uromastyx as a pet. Before I hit you with question, let me give you the background and the set up. Its an Egyptian Uro of unknown sex. Its approx 10 inches including the tail. He has had it for over a year but received it as an adult. He believes it may be 5 years old. Its kept in a 20 gallon long tank and the temps at the hot side are approx 110 degrees. The temps on the other side are 90. There is a hot rock and an undertank heating pad which is kept on throughout the day and night on the hot side. The tank has two 75 watt bulbs of unknown make which are purchased from the local reptile store. They get shut down at night for about 12 hours. The substrate is calicium sand and there is no water dish in the enclosure. The animal is fed a store bought bagged lettuce spring mix which gets dusted once weekly with calcium with D3. He is fed the greens every day from a plate and has been been fed 3 mealworms a week for the past month. He has fed on mealworms in the past but it is not a routine practice. So....here is the problem. The past week or so the animal has gotten very bloated and is visually swollen around his torso. The activity level has dropped off somewhat but other than that, behavior wise, he seems normal. Its still eating and has no exposure to another lizard. Do you guys have an idea what could be causing the bloating? Also, he has been defecating less frequently. Could it be impaction? If so, do you guys know what we can do BEFORE a vet visit is needed? Is there a quick fix? Do these lizards ovulate with out males being present? Any ideas or husbandry tricks or tips are appreciated, even if its about the set up. Thanks in advance. Mike Panichi
-----
honesty is my only policy

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Mali/Niger - sterling365, Mon Dec 7 14:01:48 2009
<< Previous topic:  substrate & skin question - wbcrows, Sat Dec 5 22:37:55 2009