return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50˘/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
$50 banner pool - click here

Re: S373- my letter... Please Read

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Reticulated Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jsschrei at Thu Dec 10 16:58:40 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jsschrei ]  

don't normally post here because I don't own reticulated pythons, but this affects any of us that own "the 9".

I've been calling, faxing and writing letters when asked to by USARK.

Due to today's outcome, I am planning to mail the following personal letter to EVERY Senator and Congressman, and the President,and then e-mail it every day thereafter.

Please read my letter and let me know what you think of it before I send it out to the mail.

If you like it, I encourage you to do the same with it. Feel free to copy and paste, edit as you'd like to fit your specific role. I'll be changing the "Dear..." address accordingly.

Thank you for your time to read this, and comments you may wish to offer me. Please pm me if you feel you need to.

Dear Senators,

I am writing to express my opposition against S373. Recently several outstanding doctorates, professionals and organizations (such as National Geographic) have commented that the current “data” that supports the ban of importation, exportation and interstate movement of nine major species of constrictor snakes is not scientifically valid. Although I recognize that some species, such as the Burmese Python, have become an issue in Florida, there is: 1) no reasonable evidence to support that all of the species pertaining to the genera implicated in the bill pose ANY native wildlife or the environment; 2) no reasonable evidence to support that the species pertaining to the genera implicated in the bill pose a threat to persons of this country.

The animals in question for bill S373 are ectotherms. In most parts of the United States temperatures and or humidity levels do not support life of these organisms for much of the year. They will die and therefore do not pose a threat to the native wildlife. These organisms will experience hypoactivity and be unable to adequately hunt and find food source. Even if they find a food source the inadequate temperatures will cause decomposition of the ingested food and kill them. Furthermore, the first significant drop in temperatures in any area of the country would kill the organism overnight.

There is no logical, substantial or relevant evidence to support that these animals must be banned nation-wide. The passing of S373 would devastate hundreds of thousands of reptile owners, hobbyists and business persons alike, that are responsible keepers of these species. Better solutions can present themselves in those states which are experiencing issues with only a few of the species in the genera of animals presented in this bill. Examples include more strict local laws that require a permit or some other manner of assuring responsible reptile keeping. With current technologies, even snakes may be microchipped, which can indicate the irresponsible owner(s) of those animals that may be found loose in the environment.

I would also like to add that abolishing the ability to buy, sell, breed these organisms will negatively affect thousands of families across the United States. Those that depend on this industry will be ruined, adding to rising unemployment rates and economic distress that the country already faces. Reptile collections that are depended on for income and retirement, planning to send children to college, etcetera, will be worthless. Not only will they be worthless, but a financial burden to those that are then financially ruined. These animals need satisfactory food source, housing, heat, substrate, and so fourth, all of which require money on the keeper’s part. I am a small business hobbyist and have thousands of dollars invested in my animals and equipment, but am not ignorant to the hundreds of thousands of dollars that some of the well known reptile suppliers currently spend to keep and care for their animals and business. This bill would cause irreversible loss to these families. Not only will families be effected, but so will major retailers of the pet industry. Companies such as Petco and Petsmart, local privately owned pet stores, cage suppliers, rodent suppliers, husbandry suppliers, plastics companies, glass suppliers, metal industry, and on and on will be affected by the passing of this bill.

In an attempt to reveal the unfair treatment of this bill to the many across this country that own reptiles: there are more automobile accidents, dog/cat bites, airplane crashes, recreational vehicle accidents, gunshot and knife stabbings, etcetera, that cause more harm or death to human beings than the species that will be affected by this bill. The exceptionally few deaths caused by snake constriction attract intense media attention and are a style of exotic news and publicity. Many of these species are no more than three feet in length and no more in girth than a toilet paper roll. None of them are venomous. With proper keeping these animals are far less dangerous to the human being than most of the common pets and household/daily devices with which we surround ourselves.

This bill has clearly been written by individuals that have a short and narrow list of selfish and uneducated priorities who failed to consider the countless number of lives that would be negatively affected by the passing of this bill. There are many more economically, ecologically and reasonable methods to approach any form of problem that may arise to the irresponsible actions of the few than to penalize so severely the vast number of responsible reptile owners, pet owners, business owners and industrialists in this manner.

In order to experience the overwhelming popularity of the reptile industry I urge any member of the Senate, Congress or other lawmakers, and those that were involved in the writing of this bill to attend any of the local reptile conferences, seminars or shows, or simply Google search "reptile forums" to understand to popularity of this industry by pet owners, herpetologists, hobbyists and commercial and industrial suppliers alike.

I passionately urge the consideration of the irrationality of this bill. Please make your decisions in the best possible interest of your citizens. There are several more reasonable and less damaging ways to preserve our humanity and environment than a nation-wide ban of these animals, where only an very small percentage of the nation’s ecology is affected, and infinitesimal number of people are physically harmed by them.

Most sincerely,
Jessica Suanne Gibbs
M.S. and reptile business owner
California Resident
-----
Cheers,
Jessica Gibbs
Ball Pythons; Corn Snakes; Green Tree Python; Jungle Carpet Python; Bci; Bcl; Bco
3.0 Crazy Dogs and 2.0 cats
Some Tropical Fish
...........and growing!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  This is an excellent letter - Bill S., Thu Dec 10 19:18:26 2009
>> Next Message:  Edited and some revision - jsschrei, Thu Dec 10 20:44:02 2009