return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Few fire skink questions

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Skinks ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: AccidentalHerps at Wed Jan 20 13:12:51 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by AccidentalHerps ]  

I use repti bark mixed with eco earth. In places I want them to nest I use veyr little reptibark, and give them lots of cover. the mats of fake plants work well, and they seem to lie lying on top of them too. They like to bathe so they have a water dish big enough to get into, and their water is always dirty from them swimming!. that can be a little frustrating.

i used to have live plants in there, aloes and african violets, but they dug them up and ate them.

i mist them veryveryvery heavily. i will pour water on the fine mesh screen so it rains down, the screen breaks it up into little drops. they have about 3" of substrate so it takes a fair amount of water to soak it. They are in a glass tank w/out drain holes. I jsut make sure I never soak the substrate completely, they don't need a swamp just nice moist substrate. I keep part of the tank drier in case they decide they want some time to dry off, usually they don't but I like to give them options. One thing I really like about the 75 is that it is big enough to give them we & dry areas and areas w/deeper and different burrowing opportuntise. I also have a couple pices of driftwood and some large rocks in there. They do climb sometimes, and the sun comes in and heats up their rocks and then they like to lie on them. I figure the more variety I give them, the happier they are and the more interesting they are to watch.
-----
3 fire skinks, 1 blue tongue skink, 2 plateds, 2 beardies, 1 mali uromastyx, and a wide assortment of geckos.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Few fire skink questions - LizardCane, Wed Jan 20 19:08:24 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: Few fire skink questions - Fleck, Mon Feb 1 12:16:13 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Few fire skink questions - Fleck, Mon Jan 18 21:43:31 2010