return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Dorsal skin spots on BT

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Indigo Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: skiploder at Tue Jan 5 20:28:58 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by skiploder ]  

Over the last 45 days, my oldest BT cribo (8 years) has been getting pin-prick sized red spots ONLY between his dorsal scales on the thickest part of his body on his spine.

Let me repeat - these spots are very small and only BETWEEN the scales on his spines at the thickest part of his body.

They go away right after a shed and then immediately come back. A day after he sheds, on or two of them may have a pin prick or so of blood but that's it.

He is shedding normally and acting normally (he is one of my drys that historically stops eating between the middle of December and the end of January every year. This is also the time of year he gets a bit restless and roams his cage. As the days lengthen a bit, he calms down and gets back to his normal routine.

He is going to the vet this Friday. I have spoken to the vet on the phone and she is perplexed and can only think that he maybe scraping his back on the opening to his hide box.

The fact that none of his scales are damaged and the red spots are between the scales makes me doubt this...........

His cage is spot cleaned daily and I change the substrate completely every week. The ambient temp in the cage is 71 at night and 76 during the day, with a relative humidity of 65%. Substrate is aspen and he is in a 72x36x18 cage.

I handle him daily and he is acting normally. I have tied putting silver sulfa on the spots and they have absolutely no affect. FWIW, his belly scales are fine.

If anyone has had this issue with any of their animals, I would love to hear what it was diagnosed as and how it was treated.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]