return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Enclosure help and advice. . .

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crocodilians ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PoeMan at Sun Jan 17 08:56:39 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PoeMan ]  

On the topic of heating, sorry should have posted in the other reply.

We use solar and wood burning. Solar is easy and works pretty decent until it gets in the to single digits or lower. The wood burner heats our entire building to the point of discomfort (for humans). Wood burner is inexpensive to get and pretty much free to operate. Solar is a basic design I found on the web. email me and I can send you enfo on it (combatxmma@yahoo.com). For the water I use a tankless water heater and thermostat. It is attached to the central filter system and when the water temp drops below 80 deg it kicks in and pumps hot water in the main return lines bring all of the enclosure pools up to an acceptable temp. I set it to 80 deg so that there is room for the time it takes to get them all back up to temp without putting the animals at risk from the drop in temp.

I have the water pump set on solar, very simple set up and got the panels from harbor freight. Using an invertor to switch from 12v to 110. The pump run about 10hrs a day and goes through a pool (Sand) filter. I set the pipes for easy access and the return lines run along the walls about 2' off the floor.

no matter what you do you are still going to have to go in daily and check things out. things break, things have hiccups and have to be attended to. You have to clean on a regular schedule. I have wooden crates to hold the big ones, while i clean. After a while of getting them used to going into the crates, for food, you will find it is SO MUCH EASIER. I use chainlink fencing for the side walls of the enclosures, on the sides not against the actual exterior walls.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Enclosure help and advice. . . - yourvettech, Wed Jan 20 16:42:46 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Enclosure help and advice. . . - PoeMan, Sun Jan 17 08:34:24 2010