return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Ornate in North Idaho - sorry long post

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Box Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: hend_rex at Mon Jan 18 22:35:55 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by hend_rex ]  

Thank you for the reply. Yours is one of the books I haven't gotten yet. (I have purchased five different box turtle books so far.) I guess yours will be next on my list to purchase.

I have two heat lamps over our turtle right now. One red for 24/7 heat and one UVB basking lamp that I turn on in the morning and off at night. So far I have managed to keep her day time temps between 70(cool end) and 90(directly under the basking lamp) and the humidity at about 50-60%. From the reading I have done so far I gathered that ornates like it a bit hotter and dryer than other box turtles.

I have no idea how long she was on the loose before we found her. She was pooping little pea gravel from our driveway for the first few days we had her and then later I noticed her trying to eat pebbles from the sand mix I mixed with the bed-a-beast and moss. She ate really well for the fist month or so we had her. In fact we probably over fed her but she won't touch food now. She still seems perky and active for short periods durring the day. She comes out of her cave and basks in the morning. Sometimes she spends all day soaking in her water bowl and she seems generaly bright eyed when she's not asleep.

I did have her checked for impaction from the gravel and an exray showd a clear digestive track. I don't know what else to do but keep her warm and wait till she starts eating agian.

I just wish she would eat.

Glenna

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Ornate in North Idaho - sorry long post - PHBoxTurtle, Tue Jan 19 16:34:13 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Ornate in North Idaho - sorry long post - PHBoxTurtle, Mon Jan 18 11:11:31 2010