return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Clarification on Gaboon comments....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: WSTREPS at Mon Feb 1 22:06:40 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by WSTREPS ]  

And that was just rude any way .In a common exchange of information was uncalled for.

It could be said , The only post that falls under the above description was the overly defensive, clumsy and even bullying attempt at a response.

The first paragraph in my initial post was a direct quote as told to me (today) by a well known West African reptile trader. I was talking with him today and asked if he had ever seen "gaboon handlers" I then shot him an email. Ive known this person a long time and he is a true West African born and raised who spends a lot of time traveling from country to country working in the animal trade, working with the hunters, villagers etc. everywhere. He knows what's up when talking about West Africa, reptiles and everything else that goes on there . I didn't call anyone a liar, the people of Africa did when I emailed what was said and asked if this was how it was.

The second paragraph was as noted based on my personal experienced also I included a recent photograph sent to me by a friend in Senegal who makes his living catching snakes and selling them in the various city's for magic, and made note of what goes on with him. Everything I posted was factual and well within the boundaries of "common exchange of information. "

There was nothing rude, uncalled for, or snide about any of it, past the fact that an over bearing, hot heads ego was bruised. Something he IS known for , My direct and very blunt honesty is distrsessful to some particularly those that are phony or like to fudge things ......................

Below is the exact email exchange along with the date and time referenced to in the first paragraph of this post. First the sent email followed by the reponse from West Africa.

Date: 2/1/2010 3:06:17 PM Eastern Standard Time

This is what was siad about the locals and the gaboons what do you think?

Jim in West Africa natives handle Gaboons almost like harmless snakes as they almost NEVER bite anybody. Fat Tail Gecko's on the other hand are considered deadly poisonous by many people that just pick up Gaboons. GO FIGURE...LOL
-----
Have you ever heard of anything like this? This doesn't seem right, sort of the opposite, It doesn't fit in with my experience of what goes on,  you guys are scared of this stuff. LOL.

Ernie

Date: 2/1/2010 4:07:34 PM Eastern Standard Time

Ernie, LOL
It is not true people handel Gaboons like harmless snakes. They know Gaboons are very venomous, but will not harm unless threatened. They also believe a gaboon will only bite a person, if he has a spell cast on him. Africans believe a lot in witchcraft,  and believe a witch can use a gaboon viper to kill someone .
Fat Tail is considered a very fearsome creature.  They believe anyone bitten by Fat tail will die. In some areas, they believe one must smear his or her whole body with feces from  a very old woman, or else will die from fat tail bite.

Ernie Eison
WESTWOOD ACRES REPTILE FARM INC.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Clarification on Gaboon comments.... - TOM_CRUTCHFIELD, Mon Feb 1 22:55:43 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Clarification on Gaboon comments.... - lep1pic1, Mon Feb 1 17:30:39 2010