return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Elaborate

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: wlcmmtt at Mon Mar 1 22:17:09 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by wlcmmtt ]  

Well to start with, how about providing more accurate information? I think it's a great idea for people to learn more about snakes; especially living in the "bible belt" where when I ask someone why they are afraid of snakes, 9 times out of 10, i get an answer along the lines of, "cuz they're the DEVIL". Or even better, "they're just gross." Well, so are people. In fact, people are far more disgusting and horrible then snakes will ever be, but I don't go around, shrieking every time I see a baby. I mean, maybe I should, but I don't. But by hyping out Gaboon vipers to be these man killing, hyper-endangered, giant antelope eating animals, isn't helping anyone's cause, much less ours. And I completely get the idea that a large gaboon could eat a baby antelope from one of the dwarf species. But that should be clarified for the viewer. Not, "These snakes get so big, they eat antelope." That's right up there with making a generalized statement like "snakes eat people." Sure, you might be able to find an instance of that happening somewhere in the history of snakes and people, but it's not the norm.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Elaborate - terrylove, Sun Feb 21 12:23:25 2010