return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: my first retic

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Reticulated Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: sk8r009 at Fri Feb 5 16:19:07 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by sk8r009 ]  

Sounds like when i got my first retic last May. He was 6 foot when i got him and being fed 5 gerbils at a time. Switched him over to Guinea pigs and rabbits and now he's almost 10 feet and a lil over a year old.

The pet shop i got him from was afraid to handle him, and from what they told me only one woman ever handled him. They gave him to me for a huge pueblan milk, and once i got him home and fed for the first time, i worked on the handling. ive found using a hook is good for giving a tap to let him know you are there and check the snakes mood. i would then move him a bit to pick him up from about 1/4 to 1/3 they way down his body, letting the tail warp my arm and use a roll of paper towels to block any possible bites. I used this technique with crocodilians and it works good with "iffy" snakes. fortunatly my boy is a total wuss and lets me do anything. go figuire.

right now just work on getting 5 min handling sessions, and be as gentle and deliberate as possible. Retics remember, and you are working on building a trusting relationship. Any experience with you should be a positive one. good luck and keep us posted!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: my first retic - svinarsk, Sat Feb 6 16:40:21 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: my first retic - svinarsk, Fri Feb 5 03:37:03 2010