return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Crocodile Skinks [Care Questions]

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Skinks ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: viperhare at Sun May 9 16:20:56 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by viperhare ]  

Hiya I have been keeping these beautifull lizards for at least 6 years now. I have bred them several times (but it's hard to keep the babies alive!)

I keep them at about 21 degrees celsius, I keep them rather on a dry substrate that is slighly moist/damp. To wet and they get waterpocks!
Breeding age is at around 3 to 4 years of age, when they are fertile they develop bright yellow markings on ther chin, belly and feet! If it's a wild caught animal it is probably mature.
My oldest animal I had was a huge male of at least between 15-20 years old!

I do not use UV lights with them, normal plant spots which don't heat up that much. I have water bowls in all their enclosures. They drown quickly!! A friend of mine has lost alot of animals that way, from babies to adults!

I just feed them once a week crickets, but they have a 24/7 acces to mealworms.

Thay have parental care with the youngster and they protect the egg when it is laid! Incubating them in a incubator can cause problems with the babies when commincating with other animals!
The studbook keeper of this species lets the egg hatch inside the enclosure and he has stronger and better performing animals.
Studbook : www studbooks org

If you have any questions please ask them!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Crocodile Skinks [Care Questions] - Kevlar, Fri Feb 5 02:35:16 2010 *HOT TOPIC*