return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: I find it hard to believe...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: bombballz at Sun Feb 7 14:07:58 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bombballz ]  

There are so many factors to consider. The people that were releasing snakes very well could be releasing several snakes at a time in the same area. The main reason I believe these snakes were being let go is due to the fact as they were getting to big for the owner meaning most the snakes released were probably adults or sub-adults released in the everglades ready to breed. If a average female lays 15-40 eggs that's a lot of snakes. With all the canal water ways and swamp im pretty sure that a snake could travel at least a couple miles in a single day. I also believe that when the R.O.C permit came into effect a lot of breeders and wholesaler became very concerned with keeping these snakes illegally and didn't want to to go threw the process of requesting the permit, micro chipping all their snakes, and being monitored closely by Fish and Wildlife who do periodic checks. The R.O.C. permit also states that the snakes need to be kept in "proper caging" with locks meaning anyone with these snakes that had improper caging were going to be forced to get all new caging. I heard of a well known breeder/wholesaler in South Florida that was raided shortly after the permits came into effect and was fined over $40,000 for snakes and illegal turtles they had and all those animals were ceased. Before the R.O.C. came into effect almost every pet store had burmese pythons of all sizes available and they would sell to most anyone, any age, no questions asked.. These are some of the factors that have caused the issues in the Everglades.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I find it hard to believe... - spmoberl, Sun Feb 7 14:17:37 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: I find it hard to believe... - sgtstinky, Sun Feb 7 14:33:22 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: I find it hard to believe... - TOM_CRUTCHFIELD, Sun Feb 7 17:50:59 2010

<< Previous Message:  I find it hard to believe... - Ghireptiles, Sun Feb 7 05:36:27 2010