return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: They have been around for a long tim

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Mike_Rochford at Wed Feb 10 17:36:18 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Mike_Rochford ]  

You could probably get a lot of support by suggesting that Hurricanes don't cause damage, but rather a lack of preparedness. The billions of dollars spent on hurricane cleanup is a waste because all houses, roads, boats, people, crops, ect... should all be made as Hurricane Proof items in the 1st place. Really, why waste our money helping an unprepared society. While you develop a strategy to stop wildlife from establishing itself in the wild, could you also fix our problems with flood, tornadoes, wild fires, mud slides and the numerous other natural phenomena we find inconvenient. Unless you can fix these problems, I don't want our grants and public funds supporting you to strap on boots and cry about newly appearing wildlife. But, at least that gives you something to do, and probably makes you feel special.

I think that's the point I was trying to make. Anyone with half a brain and 100 pythons should be able to think ahead and say "hmmm... hurricane pythons = bad idea." And that person should then think of a way to secure them or move them to a secure location. Otherwise, that person should not be keeping pythons.

My suggestions are intended to be helpful, even though my tone may not be chipper. Why not try to police yourselves so the government doesn't have to? Unfortunately (for you guys), most people do not agree that it is ok to have non-native wildlife roaming around. So you can try to prevent that or the government will do it for you. I'm not saying that I support that 100%... just that it is reality. Why not try to prevent future introductions? Seriously? You really have no right to blame the government for stepping in if you are absolutely unwilling to make a change yourself (and I'm speaking to herpetoculturists as a group (not you as an individual) when I say that).

Would it really be so hard to say, "hey, Reptile Store X, would you please fix your walls, put some real doors on your building, and keep your animals in real enclosures instead of open-topped tubs?" If you can't take that small step toward prevention then you can't complain when Big Brother steps in. Personally, I would LOVE to see this problem solved by seeing the collective pet trade policing itself instead of causing problems and practically forcing the government to react.

Mike

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: They have been around for a long tim - spmoberl, Wed Feb 10 17:58:34 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: They have been around for a long tim - Ghireptiles, Thu Feb 11 07:06:20 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: They have been around for a long tim - TOM_CRUTCHFIELD, Thu Feb 11 08:14:46 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: They have been around for a long tim - spmoberl, Wed Feb 10 17:02:24 2010