return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: They have been around for a long time...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: natsamjosh at Thu Feb 11 08:33:25 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by natsamjosh ]  

>>Today most non-native invasive animals and plants come from >>the pet and nursery trades. There are very few exceptions.

"Non-native" is not equivalent to "harmful." With regard to
Burmese pythons, there is no evidence they are "devastating" the
ecosystem. If there is, please provide it.

>>
>>You may choose not to believe that or to ignore that, but you >>do so at your own peril and risk of your pastime and all of >>the economic and social benefits that comes with it.

I'm simply pointing out that it makes no sense that millions and millions of dollars of tax money goes to a scientific endeavor (ie, getting rid of invasive species, especially vertebrates) that has a track record of failure. If I had such a poor track record, I'd get fired from my job, I wouldn't get *more* money. In the real world, results matter, not just intentions.

>>The fastest way to make the federal government go away is to >>say we have a problem, we will fix it ourselves. Spend your >>tax dollars on something else.

I totally disagree. The forces behind the pending legislation don't want responsible ownership, they want NO OWNERSHIP. Your attitude will actually help them achieve their goal. No one here is advocating irresponsible ownership, but empty rhetoric of
"fix it ourselves" is meaningless. How exactly would we "fix it ourselves?" Am I supposed to police my neighbor down the street who owns some herps? It's ALREADY ILLEGAL to release non-native animals, and there are animal cruelty laws. Why would some idiot who would break the law today magically follow the rules set by some trade organization if they don't follow the law?

>>
>>You have the wrong target. Pythons researchers in the >>Everglades are not against you, HSUS is. By refusing to >>acknowledge the problem your are playing right into their >>hands.

Absolute BS.

1) The USGS python range map is garbage. The model is flawed, it was released BEFORE any type of real-life data was collected, and it flies in the face of 30 years of herpetoculture. And why is the DOI trying to rush the Lacey Act process BEFORE the SREL study results are done and BEFORE the effects of the cold snap are clear?

2) As I said before, ASSUMING the pythons are wreaking havoc on the ecosystem is not science, it's speculation. If you think for a minute that the "researchers" played no part in generating the hysteria that's going on now, you are sadly mistaken.

You, my friend, are playing into the hands of the HSUS and PETA.
Dogs and cats run loose all the time and all over the country, and they are PROVEN to be dangerous to humans and wildlife, yet somehow some pythons in the Everglades are a gigantic problem for which we need to become hysterical over and scare the public.

>>
>>You have met the enemy, it is yourself.

Right back at you.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: They have been around for a long time... - thecrocpot, Thu Feb 11 06:49:28 2010