return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Hypotheticals

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: RandyRemington at Sat Feb 13 17:08:32 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by RandyRemington ]  

"My question though is this, why aren't you in favor of it? Is it because you do not believe measures to restrict interstate transport will have any effect on wild populations, or because you don't want the lawmakers overstepping their bounds? I suppose another way to ask this is, would you be supportive of the USFWS listing these animals as injurious (same effect, different means)?"

This touches on another question I find interesting. For me the biggest flaw in the proposed legislation was that the pythons where already in the one place they could survive so I didn't see any possible benefit for trading in freedom. I think the research this winter will put the 1/3 US map to rest for good. Will all agree now that it’s a Florida only problem?

But what IF it had been just a little colder and the python kill line got pushed from just north of the Glades all the way to the bottom? What if that happens next January? What IF we had a clean slate and there where no longer any Burmese pythons in the Everglades? Then there actually might be some benefit to restricting them in Florida.

But wait, they already are restricted in Florida so hypothetical problem solved ... I mean really, how many people are buying Burmese pythons with the current Florida license requirements? I bet none of the few doing it legally would release any much less the numbers needed to start a new population. Just require any importers to bag the 900 they are holding for shipping out of state in Kevlar in case of evacuation and we are all set, lol.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Hypotheticals - Jaykis, Sat Feb 13 17:23:33 2010

<< Previous Message:  Mike, thank you - Jonathan_Brady, Sat Feb 13 14:05:59 2010