return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: young mom rats?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Feeder Food Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHLdyPayne at Sat Feb 13 15:07:48 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHLdyPayne ]  

Yeah, that lab diet is a great diet for rats. You can also pick up a bag of large parrot fruit/nut mix (by Premier I think is the kind I have used here time to time) as a sort of treat to give a bit of variety to the lab blocks (I just add a small handful along with the blocks) which the rats love. I don't offer it every day, and it really gets them excited when they realize they are getting that mix in addition to their regular food.

I have never been happy with most 'rat diets' sold at pet stores. My rats rarely eat half the stuff those diets include...but the large parrot diet (I had bought a bag just to see if the rats will like it, as I see it contained must of what is in the rat diets, that the rats do eat but very little or none of the stuff the rats don't eat in the diets (mostly the rabbit pellets...rats are not really weed eaters like rabbits)I added some into the rat cage and they went nuts...So I tend to buy a bag whenever i see it on sale. (especially now that its hard to get it for under $20 (used to be able to get it on sale for half price, but haven't seen it on sale in a long time...though it could be due to the fact I am not in pet stores as much now as I was before...when I bought insects at the store. Now I have a much more reliable and cheaper source who delivers to my door...so I get the bulk of my insects through him.)
-----
PHLdyPayne

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: young mom rats? - ballfreak, Sat Feb 13 17:43:25 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: young mom rats? - ballfreak, Wed Feb 10 15:34:33 2010