return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: JUST VENTING MY FRUSTRATION W/S373

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: natsamjosh at Wed Feb 17 13:57:46 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by natsamjosh ]  

>>>>If what your saying is true the researchers have said there are tens of thousands of Burmese here also and they are also under attack. In your own words what's the use in baninng them then? What your saying about feral pigs and feral cats is also true of feral Pythons. Why are they different then Amazon Doc?
>>
>>I'm not sure there IS a point in banning them...but "tens of thousands" is far different than tens of millions. The national population of feral hogs is estimated to be around 4 MILLION animals, and the national population of feral cats is estimated at around **70** million. Furthermore, both hogs and cats reproduce at a much higher rate than snakes -- so the feral populations can replenish themselves very quickly, with or without hunting.
>>
>>If there are "only" tens of thousands of feral pythons out there right now, then they should be much easier to control than either hogs or cats. It seems sensible to me to fight the problem BEFORE it has the chance to get as bad as the other species.

Your logic is flawed. Comparing absolute numbers doesn't mean anything when you're comparing one animal that can live from the southern tip of Florida to the northern tip of Washington state to pythons that can only live in southern Florida. And the fact that they reproduce slowly means they are LESS of a problem than cats/pigs, does it not?

Regarding "controlling" the burms, please explain how any of the proposed legislation will have any effect on the burms in the Everglades? Please explain HOW they will be "controlled" with or without any laws. Please explain why you even believe we humans can "control" the burm population. We don't exactly have a good track record of controlling, much less eradicating, any species.

Actually, maybe you can define the "problem" first. Show some proof that the burms have an overall negative effect on the Everglades ecosystem.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: JUST VENTING MY FRUSTRATION W/S373 - amazondoc, Wed Feb 17 16:55:17 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: JUST VENTING MY FRUSTRATION W/S373 - amazondoc, Wed Feb 17 11:25:44 2010