return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

There is a saying about deadly snakes

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Calparsoni at Mon Feb 22 13:24:11 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Calparsoni ]  

That the deadliest snake is the one that just bit you. The point being that it doesn't matter how potent the venom is it only becomes dangerous once you are envenomated.
No matter what statistics you come up with people are not killed by snakes out there running at large. The people who are actually at danger are those who own such animals and possibly those who live with them if they are not caged properly and allowed to roam freely around a house. Ultimately however the people most at risk are those who actually interact with them and do not follow proper handling/feeding protocols.
But lets get to the hypothetical attack issue. I currently am not keeping large boids but I did for many years in the past I currently keep 2 large dogs. If I was keeping both types of animals statistics of how many of either type are out there are irrelevent as I actually have both types of animals. Tigers, elephants and chimpanzees are way more dangerous than either animal but they do not matter as for this situation I am not keeping any of them for this situation so as dangerous as they may be they don't pose any danger to me.
Anyway in this situation where I have both types of animals where the factor of how many are out there dosen't matter which is more dangerous?
We are comparing a predatory mammal that roams freely in my house that has large canines, extremely sharp incisors and carnassials (penny cutters lol.) and huge molars designed to crush and grind bones and with jaw strength between 1000 and 2000 pounds of pressure per square inch depending the breed with a reptile that has almost no jaw strength and and rather small needle like teeth. An animal with big strong jaws that also happens to have 4 legs and is able to reach speeds close to 40 mph vs an animal that has small teeth relatively weak jaws and no legs. I am thinking the dog wins hands down in this hypothetical scenario as far as being more dangerous.
Here are some other factors to consider proper protocol for keeping large boids calls for having someone else present when you feed large snakes in the event that a feeding accident occurs in which you are bitten and wrapped which is the point at which you could be killed. The additional person can unwrap the snake from you quite easily and if the snake does not let go with it's mouth you can make it let go by putting a small amount of strong alcohol in it's mouth should that become necessary. Common also dictates that you keep large boids in a secure cage so when you are not interacting with them you are not at risk of an accident occurring.
How many people keep their dogs in their house and let them run around in a manner completely opposite to how snakes are properly kept? Mine are doing that right now. In the unlikely but certainly event that they decided to turn on me I would hope that I could escape but assuming I did I would absolutely sustain more injuries than I would from a mistaken feeding response with a large boid. Quite realistcly I would probably be pretty screwed.
Btw I did realize their was another dog attack I forgot about it involved 2 pit bulls in Kissimmee a few weeks ago the were roaming freely in a neighborhood and attacked 3 people at an apartment complex. They were not from the area and were not found after the attack. That is the first of 2 incidents in the Orlando area where people were attacked by someone else's dogs that were out wandering around. A similar scenario involving large snakes would most likely never happen. Even in their natural habitat such attacks are almost unheard of.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: There is a saying about deadly snakes - amazondoc, Mon Feb 22 17:05:41 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: python vs dog related deaths in fl. - amazondoc, Mon Feb 22 12:25:24 2010