return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Incubating veiled eggs

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chameleons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kinyonga at Tue Mar 2 16:04:02 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kinyonga ]  

You said..."So, about a week ago I posted here asking if my female cham. was pregnant. I'm pretty sure she is not, since she hasn't layed any eggs"...do you have a place for her to dig in the cage in case she needs to lay eggs? Not providing a place for her can lead to eggbinding if she is carrying eggs.

You said..."How do i incubate the eggs? Where can I read about caring for the eggs and eventually the hatchlings"...
here's a site for panthers...but its the same procedure for veileds...except that I incubate them at about 74F.

Before you get to incubating them though you have to go through the mating and the egglaying.

To mate them, show the female to the male by holding her outside his cage so that they can see each other and watch for the reactions. If she puffs up, hisses, rocks back and forth, gapes, turns dark color in the background then she is non-receptive. Put her back in her cage and try another day. If she stays calm and green and doesn't inflate her body and walks slowly away from the male, she is receptive....and if the male gives the right signals they can be put together.

If the male holds his hand up close to the chin, hisses, gapes, etc. then he does not recognize her as a receptive female...give him a few minutes to settle down...if he doesn't move her back to her cage and try again another day.

If he seems interested in her but not aggressive, then it should be okay to put them together. Watch them for a few minutes though once they are together and be ready to separate them if there is aggression.

If they accept each other, you can leave them together until the background of the female turns dark and/or she starts to act non-receptive to him.

Now for the egglaying...
Do not let the female see you watching her whenever she is digging the hole. It will cause her to abandon the hole and this will lead to eggbinding if it happens often enough.

This is how it should go...about 30 days after the mating the female should be ready to lay her eggs. This can vary depending on where in her cycle you mate her....it can be earlier....but seldom later.

She will be restless, roam the cage looking for a place to dig, may slow down her eating or stop altogether, will likely drink a lot more.

She may dig more than one hole to start off with but should settle on one in the end and dig it until she is happy with it. It may take a couple of days. She will then turn around bum down (likely in the evening) and lay her eggs. When she is done laying them she will fill in the hole and tamp it down...and return to the branches.

She should be hungry and thirsty...so feed and water her well for a couple of days...then cut back her food for a while so she won't produce a large clutch the next time around. She will likely retain sperm and lay a second clutch even if you don't mate her.

Here's a site that talks about female veileds..
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  my adult female panther??? - dina0123, Tue Mar 2 21:01:04 2010
<< Previous topic:  Panther Update. Good News!! - twillis10, Tue Mar 2 12:13:29 2010