return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: my adult female panther???

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chameleons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kinyonga at Fri Mar 5 12:23:14 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kinyonga ]  

I'm glad to hear that she's sitting high...but I'm concerned that she is sleeping during the day and about your supplementing.

You said she is plump...and that was a large clutch she had....so it might be that you are overfeeding her. How much do you feed her in a week? Do you gutload/feed the insects a nutritious diet? (Please be specific.)

Re: supplementing...since most feeder insects used have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus its important to dust at most feedings with a phos.-free calcium powder to make up for it. If this it the powder you're using then it has phos. in it...
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=6418

It also has prEformed vitamin A and vitamin D in it.
I dust twice a month lightly with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdoing it. I leave it to produce the rest of the D3 from its exposure to the UVB light. D3 from supplements can build up in the system and cause problems...but as long as the chameleon can move out of the UVB from the light the body will regulate the D3.

I also dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that has a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A. Beta carotene will not build up in the system like prEformed vitamin A can. However, there is controversy as to whether all/any chameleons can convert the beta carotene so they give a little prEformed once in a while to make sure they get some without overdoing it. Excess prEformed vitamin A may prevent the D3 from doing its job and push the chameleon towards MBD.

Calcium, D3, vitamin A and phos. are all important players in bone health and they need to be in balance. You need to look at what you supplement with and what you feed to the insects and the chameleon when trying to balance them.

Does your chameleon have any bumps or bends in its legs or arms? Can you post a picture? Does it hold its body up off the branches?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  new to chameleons - hbelo, Wed Mar 10 09:04:04 2010
<< Previous topic:  Incubating veiled eggs - bigmansm, Tue Mar 2 14:09:12 2010