return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Strange Behaviour with Uro

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uromastyx ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mali009 at Thu Mar 4 17:11:10 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mali009 ]  

Crap. I didn't realize that repti sand was the same thing as the brand calci sand. Is that right? I use a layer of sand at the bottom and then cover it with birdseed. Its what the previous owner of my mali told me to do. And is also how he set him up. I went to a bigger tank thinking to give him more space and have now only made him less happy I think. I wanted to make the change and didn't think getting playsand, washing it and drying it would be quick enough so I bought the repti sand. This might be why. Also, perhaps the humidity has gotten too high because the sides are half mesh as well. What can I cover them with to keep humidity lower? I just don't like how he is opening is mouth and seemingly choking before his eyes do the roll. He is eating less as well from what I see. Not as hungry from when I changed the tank. He has dug more though than ever in the past which is why I think if it is the sand dust, its cause he suddenly has started to dig a whole lot more than in the previous year. One more point that could be a factor is that the temp in the tank has decreased as well. I am using a 150 W basking lamp at full power on a dimmer and it is not getting over 100 on top of his rock. I also use the 26W UV light as well as a 150 W red light on the other side of the tank too. I don't know what more I can do to increase the temp! I like the idea of the rock around the food though. Thank you for that. What is the best rock to use around the food? Do you think the dust is just bothering him or could he have eaten some sand? I don't see him do this but what do I do if he has? Thank you for your help thus far.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Strange Behaviour with Uro - DannyBoy9, Wed Mar 10 20:36:43 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Strange Behaviour with Uro - ginag, Thu Mar 4 08:56:46 2010